Sunday, 19 June 2011

Craft Cakes

A great day in the office is when someone brings in the fruits of their cake baking weekend. Quite a few months ago such a thing happened, but they didn't bring in any normal kind of cake, they brought in perfectly iced, delicated coloured beautiful cupcakes. When asked where they had got these iced beauties I was told they had made them themselves in a cup cake making class. As soon as I heard this I though to myself, "I'm going to get me onto one of those gosh darn cake decorating courses"
And you know what? I did!
We traversed what seemed like the entirity of London to reach the Armandine Cafe on Victoria Park Road Last week to meet Leigh and 6 other lovely ladies to get cake decoring. To give you a bit of background Leigh our teacher went to culinary school in New York and went to on work at the Michelin starred Sketch in Mayfair and on again to start her own business Craft Cakes. The even more attractive part of her story is she actually started out in events and advertising!
http://www.craft-cakes.co.uk




We started by mixing a tiny tiny bit of colour to some wondefully creamy buttercream to create a variety of colours. I went for a minty green to contrast with my Mum's perfect pinkand a selection of creamy tangerine and pastel purples.







Once we had our icing ready we learned how to make a small piping bag and practiced some finer lettering. This one thing alone was reason enoough to do the course! I had no idea it was possible to create a piping bag with a piece of baking parchment.






Moving on to the larger piping bag to create some perfect patterns with a larger piping bag. 

Adding sprinkles and glitter.......lovely glitter.


...leading to this result. Not perfect, but ruddy tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment